Aquaculture in Scotland is approximately 50 years old and has grown considerably over the last decade. A diverse range of species are produced including; Atlantic Salmon, Trout, Halibut, Lumpsuckers, Wrasse and Shellfish.
MSD Animal Health Aquaculture is passionate about producing market leading solutions to promote fish health and welfare among farmed salmon and trout.
The Aquaculture team work collaboratively with farm and management personnel within farming companies, providing biological and pharmaceutical products and technical services and support for both Atlantic Salmon and Trout species.
Some key facts:
- Atlantic Salmon is the main species produced in the UK and is produced solely in Scotland with an estimated 177,000 tonnes produced in 2017.1
- Aquaculture provides a net annual revenue of approximately £1.86 billion and employment for some 8,300 people in Scotland.
- Salmon Farming is the largest employer in fragile coastal communities on the West Coast of Scotland, Inner and Outer Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland.
- Scottish salmon exports hit £600 million in 2017, up 35% compared to 2016. Export tonnage was also 26% higher in 2017 than in 2016. Scottish salmon exports reach 65 countries worldwide - the biggest importers are USA, France & China.2
- Scotland’s salmon farmers adhere to the strictest production standards to produce the highest quality produce and were awarded 'best farmed salmon in the world' by an independent poll of international seafood buyers3, for the second consecutive year.
- Scottish salmon is the first non-French food to be accredited with Label Rouge3, the prestigious quality mark granted by the French Ministry of Agriculture to products demonstrating superior quality and taste.
- Farmed salmon production is extremely efficient and environmentally friendly.
- Salmon farming also has a very low carbon footprint and low water usage.
- Salmon farming uses extremely low volumes of antibiotics because of very effective vaccines.
- The industry has a huge growth potential with Scottish Government targets of 210,000 tonnes of Atlantic Salmon produced by 2020, employment of 10,000 people and a revenue of £2 billion annually.
Further information for farmers can be found on MSD Animal Health Hub.
2 Fish Farming Expert https://www.fishfarmingexpert.com/article/scottish-salmon-export-value-hits-600m-record/
3 Scottish Salmon, Label Rouge