IDAL Intradermal Vaccination
Why vaccinate in the skin?
Where a muscle provides movement, the skin provides protection. In the skin there are lots of specialised immune cells.
By vaccinating in the skin, the vaccine comes directly into contact with these immune cells, which then rapidly deliver the long‐lasting desired immunity.
IDAL (IntraDermal Application of Liquids), the needle free intradermal vaccination from MSD Animal Health.
The IDAL offers benefits for farmers, processors and to the animal’s welfare.
The needleless vaccination technique is not only reliable and effective but also user friendly. The IDAL can be used for the four common pig diseases: PCV2, PRRS, Mycoplasma and Lawsonia intracellularis/ileitis.
The IDAL can vaccinate large numbers of pigs in a short time. Under high, constant pressure, 0.2 mL of vaccine is injected into the skin.
Where can you vaccinate?
The IDAL is best used in places where the skin is not too thick, stiff or not too hairy and is not against the bone or a fat layer. Please refer to the SPC for specific details.
Features and benefits:
- Using the IDAL means needle free vaccinations into the skin (intradermal) of the vaccinated pig. Many pathogens can be found in infected animals in the blood and tissue fluids. Using the IDAL, the needle free intradermal vaccination, avoids needle transmission of these pathogens from one pig to another as there is no needle involved.
- The small volume (O.2ml for intradermal vs 2ml for IM injection) reduces the risk of side effects.
- Less pain perception
- Flexibility in the choice of the vaccination site for piglets
- Less stressful for the pigs
- No risk of infection transmission through the needle
- No risk of breakage of the needle in the pig (no scar tissue in the muscle)
- Broken needles and injection site reactions lead to loss of valuable muscle tissue. Using the IDAL there is no chance of this occurring, because there are simply no needles used.
- The IDAL offers flexibility with a range of vaccines to cover the most significant pathogens, there vaccines are Porcilis® PCV ID, Porcilis® M Hyo ID Once, Porcilis® PRRS and Porcilis® Lawsonia ID.
- No need to change needles ‐ safer for the operator and time saving
- Built in operator safety features reduce risk of self‐injection
- Simple to use
Animal medicines should always be used responsibly. For more information on responsible use please visit the NOAH pages on this topic.